THINKING GREEN AND TOWARDS SUSTAINABILITY
We at The Sands at Nomads are committed to trying to reduce our impact on the natural and social environment around us. We would be very appreciative if you, as our guests, can help us to do so where you can.
- WATER- please ensure that hand basin taps and showers are turned off after use. If you would like a towel or an item of laundry washed please leave it in the laundry bag provided. If you have a towel you would like washed please leave it in the wooden basket provided.
- ELECTRICITY- please try to ensure that all lights and appliances inside your room are switched off when not in use.
If you are in a room with a water heater- for hot water please switch on the heater 15 minutes before you need it and please switch this off after use.
If you would like to use the air-conditioning please keep the windows of your room closed to minimize the energy needed for cooling. (and keep out the monkeys)
- CHEMICALS- where possible please try to use the natural cleaning products provided in the rooms as these are not harmful to the environment.
- CULTURAL SENSITIVITY- If you are hoping to visit any cultural or historic attractions away from the beach during your stay with us please do be aware that due to much of the local population around us being Muslim we ask that ladies wear clothing that is sensitive to the local customs. (longer skirts or trousers and covered shoulders) Please note that in Kenya it is not allowed for women to be topless.
- WILDLIFE- The Sands at Nomad is located inside a forest with a lot of wildlife. During your stay with us please do not attempt to feed or touch any of the wildlife.
- ENVIRONMENT- If you would like to assist us in keeping our environment clean you can help us collect any trash that has washed up on the beach and place it in the bins provided on the beach steps.
If you would like to do more please feel free to collect a bag from the stand on the main beach steps. Collect trash as you take a walk and return the bag to the bag stand for us to collect and separate the trash.
NB- NO COLLECTING OR BUYING SEA SHELLS OR STARFISH PLEASE!
Please note that the ocean down Diani beach from the Kongo mosque to Chale Island is a MARINE RESERVE. This means that the local community is allowed to continue their traditional fishing methods. However it is VERY important that you do not collect or buy any shells. It is illegal to do so and it is illegal to try to exit Kenya with shells.
NB- WATCH OUT THE CORRAL PLEASE!
Please be aware that the corral rocks out in the ocean are living systems made up of multiple organisms. By stepping or standing on live corral it is damaged and it can die. Dead corrals lead to the loss of life in the corral gardens and eventually there will be nothing left to admire and attract fish and other marine life.
THE SANDS AT NOMAD
SUSTAINABILITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
In case you are interested, below are the policies governing our sustainable practices here at The Sands at Nomad.
- BUSINESS POLICIES
- The Sands at Nomad will comply with all national and local laws and regulations as well as minimum standards and other relevant statutory requirements.
- REDUCING ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
- The Sands at Nomad seeks to run it’s commercial enterprise in the most environmentally friendly and sustainable manner possible with an aim to reduce the consumption of energy and water and minimize the use of harmful chemicals.
- All waste management (water and solid) decisions made will comply with national and, where possible international environmental law. (Handling and disposal of chemicals, dangerous materials, emissions and effluent)
- Any realistic environmentally friendly initiatives will be implemented with a long-term goal of making the Sands at Nomad one of the ‘Greenest’ facilities on the south coast of Kenya.
- The Sands at Nomad will seek to make a positive impact on the greater local environment, both natural and social in a hope of creating awareness and an example for others to follow.
C. HUMAN RIGHTS AND LABOUR CONDITIONS
a) BASIC RIGHTS
The Sands at Nomad will not discriminate based on gender, age, religion, race, tribe, caste, social background, disability, nationality, political affiliations or other personal characteristics. Decisions made by the hotel in employment will be made with their merits, experience, references and character in mind.
All employees will be able to enter or leave their employment with The Sands at a time of their choosing as long as this is done in accordance with their employment contract. There will not be any form of forced labour.
The Sands at Nomad will recognize the employee’s rights to collective bargaining and the freedom of association.
Any violation of an employee’s basic rights will not be tolerated. This includes harassment, physical abuse or punishment or the threat of physical abuse or punishment.
The Sands at Nomad will provide a means through which staff may voice concerns about key employment issues, complaints and grievances.
b) WORKPLACE SAFETY
The Sands at Nomad will not employ any persons under the minimum age law as stipulated under local regulations.
The Sands at Nomad will provide the necessary training to members of it’s staff to ensure a good standard of safety and response.
The Sands at Nomad will provide the necessary safety equipment to ensure safe working conditions for its employees.
c) HOURS AND WAGES
Employees at The Sands at Nomad will not be paid less than the stipulated minimum wage in accordance with industry standards.
Employees working hours will be kept in line with legal requirements and industry standards. Overtime will be paid in accordance with these standards.
Employees are allowed to take their stipulated annual leave or sick leave without any repercussions.
Female employees are allowed to take their stipulated maternity leave in the case of pregnancy.
D COMMUNITY RESPECT AND BENEFIT POLICY
Wherever possible The Sands at Nomad will seek to promote quality local suppliers, products and services to it’s guests in the form of recommendations.
Wherever possible The Sands at Nomad will source locally produced goods in preference to imported ones.
The Sands at Nomad will make recommendations to its staff and guests concerning issues of local cultural sensitivity, traditions and beliefs.
E HEALTH AND SAFETY
The Sands at Nomad will be compliant with all health and safety related requirements including training, servicing and inspections as stipulated by local law and industry standards.
F EXPLOITATION OF CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS
It is the policy of The Sands at Nomad to record personal information of all guests checking into the hotel. In the event of suspicious behavior from guests or employees, which could be taken for child exploitation, the local authorities will be notified.
It is noted that a ‘child’ refers to a person younger than 18 years.